Today was a big day of projects. The last one was something I had been wanting to do for awhile. I have a dehydrator and really want to use it more. I have to make a lot of food to justify using it for 5-12 hours though, since electricity is so expensive. The only thing I have made thus far is crackers, and those are a chore. Plus, they have pulp of fruits and vegetable I have juiced, so they depend highly on the quality of the produce I use. Oh, and I only do it when I drink a lot of juice. Yesterday, I stocked up on my seeds, and today I decided to try and duplicate one of my fave gluten-free snacks, “Sticks & Twigs”. I considered doing them raw, but that would require me to soak/sprout everything, which would put it into Wednesday or later. I decided to cook the grains. First, I soaked 3 Tbs of chia seeds in tons of water. Those things are amazing!! Then, I added 1/2 cup each of golden flax seeds and sesame seeds. Then, I cooked up brown rice mixed with black glutinous rice, quinoa, millet (yes, bird seed), and amaranth.
Now, how to make them. My trays have a mesh sheet, so if the mixture is too wet, it will sink into them. If it’s too sticky, it will stick inside the holes and make it hard to remove them. I tried smoothing them out like my crackers, but no go. I thought about the sticks and twigs and realized they were brilliant in their simplistic design. So, like I was icing a cake, I filled a ziploc bag with the mixture, cut a small hole in one corner, and went to town. I made several batches. The first one was just seasoned with sea salt. The second one had sesame oil, soy sauce, and aji nori furikake seasoning, plus some more sea salt. Yum! Next batch was creole seasoning with some cayenne. Not sure how that one will turn out. Then, I made one with soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and sea salt. The last one was small, but probably the best. I used less of the rice so I could use up the other grains, and I added soy sauce and katsuo morin furikake (which has dried shrimp, nori and sesame seed.
Now, they sit in the dehydrator at 115 degrees for 5-6 hours. Below are pics of the process.